DAY 1: Today is the beginning of my 30-day challenge to be nicer to myself

I have been hard on myself my entire life. I'm a perfectionst (and I'm going to leave some typos in here on purpose to prove to myself that I can and the world isn't going to fall apart if I do - oh sweet irony to leave the typo in that word), I have OCD tendencies that surface from time to time, and I have suffered from extremely low self-esteem off and on throughout my life.

One of my biggest frustrations in my life right now is that I want to make a career change, and feel like a failure for not being able to do so. I apply and apply and apply, I rewrite and revise my resume, I try new tactics for my cover letters, I seek help from my friends and network, and yet, I am still stuck in the same dead-end job I've had for what will be 7 YEARS (insert mortified, blushing shriek here) in November this year.

Occasionally I'll make it to an interview, or a phone interview. I always feel like I come off better in person than on paper or over the phone. But, right now, my anxiety is so crippling, I feel like I can't even be my (smart, kind, and quirky) self in the interview and I feel like I end up bombing in some way. Self-fulfilling prophecy? I'm not sure. Which is why I want to start being nicer to myself. To start speaking to myself with the same kindness, compassion, and supportiveness that I show my friends and my family. That's the first part of this challenge.

The second part, because I never do things the easy way and I always have to add an element of further challenge to things, is to apply to at least one job every day for 30 days. I'm not sure what that's going to look like. The nice thing about hvaing been stuck in the same job for 7 years is that I have earned the right to be picky. So a job a day for a month might mean I apply to a few jobs that are either way out of my league, or maybe a step or two beneath my qualifications. I'm going to attempt to be okay with that. Becuase this is an exercise. An exercise in stick-to-it-iveness, an exercise in self-care, and an exercise in learning to handle rejection better.

This blog exists to keep me accountable. I will likely fail somewhere at either or both of these tasks over the next 30 days, but I'm going to do my best.

Day 1
Positive self-talk (me to me): 
  • You can change your life whenever you want to. 
  • You are a good writer and wrote a great cover letter. 
  • You don't need to wait for permission to make those changes. 
  • You don't need to look for outside approval to know your value.
Job applied to: Part-time bartender at a nearby brewery

Wish me luck.

Comments