Day 10: All Quiet on the Western Email Response Front

If you want to go just by the numbers, I'm right on track with my apply-to-one-job-per-day goal. But, in truth, I missed another (my second) day of applying yesterday. To my credit, I did get a lot of other things done yesterday. The whiteboard I just hung in my bedroom had fallen down (Command strips/hooks were not strong enough - they were pretty small adhesive strips) so I had to rehang that (heavy duty picture hangers this time).

I have also started a new exercise regimen, my first attempt to create a habit of it in a very long time, so I did both my weights exercises (for my tendonitis in my wrists) and a yoga session. It was only 15 minutes, but it was perfect. I find I do better with home yoga if I only have to find 10-30 minutes instead of 45 minutes to an hour. I'm able to find that time and be more consistent about practicing regularly. It has been a long time since I had a home yoga practice, but I am feeling it's necessary right now just to maintain some sort of exercise routine since I have not been rock climbing at the gym very much in the last few months, and because my tendonitis seems to be worsening. Yoga and climbing do a lot to strengthen my hands and wrists, and I find my tendonitis bothers me less when I am keeping up with one or both on a fairly regular basis.

I do tend to go on little spurts of change and progress and dedication to new habits, but I'm hoping to be able to keep up with all of this. It's made me feel so accomplished and my ability to be able to stick with it as well as I have done, even though it hasn't been 100% of the time, has really boosted my self-confidence and self-esteem, which has been part of the reason why I think I have been able to do as well as I have so far. It's encouraging.

That said, I have not received any responses from any of the jobs I've applied to since I started this challenge except for the one I already mentioned in another post that I was insta-rejected from. I'm hoping for a 50% response rate overall by the time the challenge ends, and I'm hoping for a 10% positive response rate overall. That's at least 3 jobs I'm hoping to hear back from with offers to interview. I'm hoping I'll at least find out one way or the other on 15 of them by the end of the month. However, my past experience is that response rates tend to be low in general, and any responses received will likely be canned/copy+paste/template because the market is just so competitive right now. 

In other news, I made it into Gretchen Rubin's "Great conversations happening in the Better app" section in her newsletter today! That really made my day. I felt heard, for one thing, and relieved to know that there were others, complete strangers, showing their support, offering advice, and giving me tips to help. I originally posted my question to her Better app a month or two ago when I was struggling with the emotional toll of making a career change and the mental load of applying to so many jobs, and I received a few initial responses, but the newsletter link this morning brought some new comments on my post, which was really gratifying. So, a shout-out: Thanks, Gretchen. Your books have been very inspirational and informational in helping me find a way to structure these changes so I can actually pursue them with more enthusiasm and, hopefully soon, more success.

Day 10 
Positive self-talk (me to me) : Life is full of setbacks, and you can't plan for all of them. Remember how lucky you are to be in a position where something like having to pay an unexpected doctor bill is not going to prevent you from buying groceries or making rent. Perspective is important, and while things like that might delay your goals a little longer, you are dedicated and strong enough not to let them derail you completely.

Jobs applied to :
  • Internal Communications Specialist at a SaaS company
  • Managing editor for a B2B agency where I could work remote from their main office 
  • Marketing Coordinator for a package delivery service company
My goal was to apply to 2 today, one for missing yesterday and one for today. If you haven't noticed I've a tendency to overachieve, I feel like that's a pretty good hint.

Comments