Day 7: Still Here, Gaining Momentum
For the second day in a row, I applied to 3 jobs. I don't have a lot of confidence in my skills' match-up with all of them, but I felt so accomplished having taken the time to apply and it really bolstered my mood after a long day of feeling unproductive and bored.
Next project is to tackle the revision of my resume. Most of the feedback I've gotten has been to trim down the past work experience sections and make the current experience bulletpoints more concise, more interesting, and have them do more work. I tend toward long-windedness, so that feedback didn't surprise me.
One of the biggest mental hurdles I'm having with some of the feedback I've received is that I'm being advised to cut things all together, not just rewrite or rearrange their placement. This, I believe, is a warped version of FOMO (i.e. fear of missing out). I know a lot of places will run resumes through a computer program to pick out keywords and phrases, especially larger companies that have recruiters and HR departments, which are not where I'm primarily applying, but I am applying to those types of places about 1/3 to 1/2 the time. Because of that, I am hesitant to remove anything that isn't also mentioned somewhere else on the page for the fear that my resume won't make it past the computer program's search and into the hands/onto the screen of a real person who can see the details and nuances better.
My anxiety and mood has drastically improved compared to yesterday. New projects, momentum, and productivity help; encouragement and support from friends, family, and my boyfriend help more. The projects and productivity make me feel accomplished and able to keep going with more tasks and projects, but the support reminds me Rome wasn't built in a day, and helps me relax after I've pushed myself and worn myself out expending all that energy into productivity. I'm feeling better about other things in my life, too. I feel like I'm having an easier time sticking with my preferred healthy eating habits, and I feel like I have more energy to tackle some of the odds and ends tasks I haven't gotten around to for whatever reason.
Day 6
Posting now since at the time of yesterday's post, I hadn't applied yet. Accountability matters.
Jobs applied to:
Day 7
Positive self-talk (me to me) :
You can't predict everything. Time spent enjoying something, like reading your book, even if you could have been doing something you think is more productive, is not time wasted. You'll catch up and make up that time eventually.
Jobs applied to: Senior Content Marketer for a B2B SaaS company
Next project is to tackle the revision of my resume. Most of the feedback I've gotten has been to trim down the past work experience sections and make the current experience bulletpoints more concise, more interesting, and have them do more work. I tend toward long-windedness, so that feedback didn't surprise me.
One of the biggest mental hurdles I'm having with some of the feedback I've received is that I'm being advised to cut things all together, not just rewrite or rearrange their placement. This, I believe, is a warped version of FOMO (i.e. fear of missing out). I know a lot of places will run resumes through a computer program to pick out keywords and phrases, especially larger companies that have recruiters and HR departments, which are not where I'm primarily applying, but I am applying to those types of places about 1/3 to 1/2 the time. Because of that, I am hesitant to remove anything that isn't also mentioned somewhere else on the page for the fear that my resume won't make it past the computer program's search and into the hands/onto the screen of a real person who can see the details and nuances better.
My anxiety and mood has drastically improved compared to yesterday. New projects, momentum, and productivity help; encouragement and support from friends, family, and my boyfriend help more. The projects and productivity make me feel accomplished and able to keep going with more tasks and projects, but the support reminds me Rome wasn't built in a day, and helps me relax after I've pushed myself and worn myself out expending all that energy into productivity. I'm feeling better about other things in my life, too. I feel like I'm having an easier time sticking with my preferred healthy eating habits, and I feel like I have more energy to tackle some of the odds and ends tasks I haven't gotten around to for whatever reason.
Day 6
Posting now since at the time of yesterday's post, I hadn't applied yet. Accountability matters.
Jobs applied to:
- Email Marketing Associate at a local real estate and vacation home company
- Merchandise Operations Coordinator (temporary) at a local outdoor brand
- Industry Marketing Specialist at a major nationwide agency
Day 7
Positive self-talk (me to me) :
You can't predict everything. Time spent enjoying something, like reading your book, even if you could have been doing something you think is more productive, is not time wasted. You'll catch up and make up that time eventually.
Jobs applied to: Senior Content Marketer for a B2B SaaS company
Comments
Post a Comment